A famous dessert, called sweet pongal, made in south India
All these years, I knew about only one type of sweet pongal, which is made with rice, milk and jaggery or sugar. But recently, when my mother-in-law shared that she’s making this special pongal with rice and dal (yellow lentils) mix, I got tempted to try it out myself. So, I immediately asked for the recipe and made this amazingly delicious sweet dish. Check out the recipe below.
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 and 1/2 cup water
- 1 and 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup jaggery (crushed)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Wash the rice and lentils with water
- Strain and put in a pressure cooker
- Add water, milk, and ghee
- Pressure cook on medium flame for 3-4 whistles
- Meanwhile, melt the jaggery in adequate amount of water in a separate pan.
- Open the cooker lid, add the melted jaggery and mix
- Let it cook for few minutes on low to medium flame
- You may add more water or milk as per your required consistency
- You may garnish it with almonds, raisins and cashews as required
And it’s ready to be served!!!
Do let me know in comments, if you try it out and like the sweet! 🙂